Sunday Interview, Fancis Moricete


francis moricete iterview


Happy Sunday Guys!
The artist of today is Francis Moricere, she's a talented illustrator and architect from Mexico.
Her illustrations are imaginative , whimsical and elegant and her style is so clean ad expressive.
Francis is even a great blogger, I suggest you to read her interesting articles about art and her life experiences. The link to her blog is at the end of this post.

Let's read the iterview with Fancis!


Hi Franz! I'm happy to have you here! Tell us something about you and your art background!

Hi Sarah! My pleasure, thank you for having me here! 

I'm a Dominican architect and self-taught illustrator based in Mexico City.

I've been into art and creativity since very little and I did pretty much everything from dancing ballet, playing the guitar, and designing clothes, but I never had proper training in visual arts. When the moment of picking a career came, I picked architecture and I had the opportunity to move to Mexico City to get my bachelor's degree. 

After almost 5 years working as an architect, I decided to take a sabbatical and venture as a freelance illustrator.  

You can read my story in detail HERE 


Fibonacci drawing


How  your architecture studies have influenced your art?

On one hand, it has influenced my tools, I think that's where I got my love for mechanical ink pens and watercolors. On the other hand, it has influenced my taste: I'm a fan of minimalist architecture, so clean lines, and simple backgrounds are my favorite things to create, and I often gravitate to black and white drawings. 
Outside of that, I don't think it had much impact on my themes, I hate drawing buildings! hahaha. A funny thing is the more time I spend away from architecture the more colorful my work gets 😂 so my taste might be changing.



goldfish tattoo art


Where do you take inspiration from?

Inspiration comes from anywhere, sometimes it can be a quote, a movie, a photograph, a videogame, or a piece of clothing, but more often than not I get inspired by ballet and music.


Which is the step you enjoy the most in your art process?

My favorite part is inking. There's something meditative about trying to get the lines right in one stroke and filling areas with black ink. I concentrate so hard I get lost in time. 
I also like the feeling of excitement the exact moment I get a new idea.  It is so brief but so precious.  
Now that I'm working on my "100 Sleeves" project I also like the part where I place my art into mockups. It gives me a sense of accomplishment.


100 sleeves project


What is the "100 Sleeves" project?

I noticed that music was something that sparked my creativity and through commissions, I learned I loved working with musicians. I had the fortune of designing album covers for Casabe Añejo and Marx Haübey, and I remember those experiences with a lot of joy. 

I had a strong desire to have more commissions like that, but instead of just waiting for the clients to come, I thought, "What would happen if I gave the commissions to myself?".  I had this realization that I don't have to wait for someone's permission to create the work that I want to do or to have the body of work I want to have. 

I fixated on the 100 number inspired by the 100-day project, but I knew I couldn't create an album cover a day so I made it a weekly thing. It is going to take me nearly 2 years to complete.

It is my biggest challenge up-to-date, but in the end, I'm getting so much joy and experience from this project, that the commitment is worthy


the princess and the frog illustration


If you found a time machine, which historical art movement you would like to join?

Interesting question, I have never thought about that! 
I'm not sure, but it would have to be one from the modern era (anything after the 1900s). 
Something that fascinates me about modern art movements is the artist's circles, imagining artists gathering in cafés or having dinner and reviewing each other's work. I would love to be part of something like that. 

Giving it more thought, being part of The Bauhaus alumni in the '20s would be awesome. Being part of Judy Chicago's Womanhouse project in 1972 also sounds like an interesting prospect.

What do you like to do besides art?

Before the pandemic, I enjoyed taking ballet classes and going to the gym, but I changed those activities for Vinyasa Yoga in my living room. Exercising or moving my body in any way helps with my mood. 
I also like watching movies, reading and, of course, listening to music😋.

You can find Francis on: Instagram, Ko-Fi, Society6, Website.


Mermaid illustration


Tamara De Lempika art


Contemporary Surrelist art






No comments: