Artistro Paint Pens, swatches and full review

LEGGI IN ITALIANO


Hi guys!
Have you ever tried acrylic markers? In the last weeks I've been trying the Artistro Paint Pens, markers with acrylic ink that Artistro kindly sent to me to let me try and review.
Artistro is an US company that produces various kinds of markers for decoration and that write on many surfaces.
On their site you can find the whole variety of markers with  instructions and tutorials.
In this post I'll give  my personal opinion about my experience with the water-based (they make oil-based markers as well) Artistro Paint Pens with extra-fine tip (0.7mm).

Do I like these markers? Let's check it out!

Packaging


The packaging is a simple cardboard box with colorful designs and the basic informations about the product. The markers  have a simple but practical design, with safety informations and instructions how to flow the color out at the first usage. The cap has snap closure to prevent drying and you can easily put it on the opposite end of the marker to don't lose it during the coloring. 
The barrel of the water-based markers is white (the one of the oil-based markers is black).
Inside the box there's a cardboard with some tips and indications translated in French, Italian, Spanish, German and English.





Swatches ed impressions


The 12 markers set includes: white, yellow, bright pink, red, orange, purple, medium green, medium blue, light brown, black, gold and silver.
Colors are very opaque and simple to on all surfaces. The extra-fine nib allows to draw tiny details. I like the material and the design of the nib so much because it's resistant and it always spread the right amount of ink with no making spots. During the coloring I noticed a light smell of alcohol but it vanishes after the fast drying.
Obviously it dries faster on porous materials as paper and it's a little slower on smooth materials.
Metallic colors are shiny, I like the silver so much!
It's a basic color palette but you can make nice stuff with them, limit is imagination!








Materials I tested them on


When I read "multi surface" on the packaging I figured out myself decoration each sigle corner and object in my home, like a kind of maniac of art and craft, but I decided to limit myself and paint on few objects! XD
I tested these markers on some surfaces, starting by the ones written on the packaging (glass, ceramic, wood, rubber, metal, fabric, stone, paper) and I added a few materials I had at hand and some that my followers suggested on Instagram.

I must make an introduction. These markers are claimed as paints for rocks. In my opinion they must work above all on rocks. How they work on other surfaces is secondary to the final review.
So, if you need to draw on speculiar surfaces as glass and ceramic (remember that to be really permanent and suitable with food they must to be the professional ceramic colors that need to be baked at  890-940°C, that means 1634-1724°F, for 12 cosecutive hours) you should try out markers made for those purpose . I never tried out those kind of markers but obviously a simple marker for hobbies can't give you the same result as professional ceramic paints.

Still  about glass, ceramic and porcellaine on the box there are some instructions:

"Apply on clean surface, let it dry for a day, place in cool oven, heat to 350-355°F (180°C) for 1 hour. Cool in oven. Not dishwasher safe. Hand-washing in warm water is the best option to wash the surface. (Althouth no tossic, do not put paint in contact with food)
On they site they suggest to protect with a varnish if you can't bake the object.

In general (not just with these markers), even if the protective varnish is not  necessary I suggest to use it for colors long lasting. There are various kinds of varnishes on the market: matt, glossy or satin. I suggest to apply them with a soft flat brush.

In the video below I show the results of tests I made on some surfaces I considered more relevant to show that are ceramic, glass, terracotta, rock, alluminum and faux-leather.





Ceramic

Following the instructions I cleaned well the dish using water and soap and alcohol.
Here the results:
- The first group is not baked and I didn't use any varnish. The toothpick scratched it very easily;
-The second group is baked and and I din't use the varnish. The toothpick scratched it but not so easily;
-The third  group is not baked and I painted it with protective varnish (I used the brand ClĂ©opatre) and it did't get scratched.

Later I hand-washed the dish (without a sponge) and all three groups peeled off.
My suggestion about ceramic is to do both baking and protecting the colors with a water resistant varnish or maybe a with thin layer of  UV resin. You can also use any varnish or just bake it, just keep in mind to clean it with a dry cloth only!

Glass

Same goes for the glass even if it resisted better than ceramic to the hand-washing, colors peeled off just partially.

Terracotta

Colors hold on very well on terracotta without baking or sealing.

Rocks

The performance on the rock was great, it doesn't get scratched even if I didn't use the varnish. Anyway on the site  the Artistro team suggest to paint it with a protective varnish after 24 hours drying.

Alluminum

Metals are very smooth so they need the sealing. I guess  oven baking wouldn't help in this case.

Faux-leather

Only sealed colors resisted to hand-washing.

Fabric

The test on fabric took longer  because it needed all steps you have to follow with fabric paints.
Above all you need 100% natural fabric as cotton or silk, if it's a new fabric you'll have to wash it without softener to remove the protective agents on it. After drying you can paint and let it dry over 24 hours, then you have to iron without steam for some minuts on both sides putting a cloth between the fabric and the iron. 
I painted a fox and after all those steps I washed it with washing machine at 30°C with the shorter washing.
Here the photos before and after the washing.







The color faded in some areas, where I passed the marker just once and lightly. The next time I'll do an heavier coloring on the whole area.
I've used  fabric paints many times in my life and in my opinion the result with these markers is good!
I suggest to hand wash the fabric instead of using the washing machine.


Leaves

Just in case you're art and craft maniacs as me you must know that these markers work well on pressed leaves. They need sealing.

Pressed ivy leafe fully painted with Artistro Paint Pens


I don't have pictures or videos of the next marials but I tested them all.


Seashells

I painted a seashell, the result was good even without varnish.

Glossy paper

The covers of some books and magazines have thin plastic coating to make them glossy and water resistant. Artsitro markers works well on that paper but they need final sealing.

Painting canvas

They work well on canva, sealing no needed.

Resin

Resin is smooth, they work well but need a final varnish or a layer of resin. I tried UV resin but it's like epoxy one.

Styrofoam

They work well, final coating no needed.

Plastic

They draw well but after 24 hours drying they need coating.

Wood

I painted on wood slices like  these and the result is good.  Coating is not necessary but suggested.

Rubber

I tried on the rubber gloves, it resists to scratches but peels of with washing. Coating needed.

Polymer clays.

They work very well on polymer clays (after baking, og course) and you have to use the varnish.

Paper and cardboard

They work so much well on paper and cardboard. They are very opaque and the extra-fine tip allows you to make tiny details. They don't need coating. It's  the best marker for hight lights I've tried until now and I'm using it a lot with my artworks.

The are some example of artworks I made using the Artsitro Paint Pens with 0.7mm tip.



Watercolor illustration. Stars, moon and windows are painted with the white  Artistro marker.





Corals and seahorse details are painted with Artistro markers both on glass and paper.
HERE You can see oart of the work in progress od this artwork.

I remind you that I tried the water based markers, the oil based ones may have different outcomes!

Price and availability


Depending on your country you can find them on Amazon or on their site. Price of  set I've got is $18.99, it means $1.59 for one marker. I think it's a good price because they are hight quality, similar products by other brands are more expensive.
Artistro produces various sets: with glitter, with trending colors, just with white or black markers etc.

Vote and conclusions


My vote for Artistro paint Pens with extra-fine tips is 8.5. They write very well and they are very opaque, the tip has a good design and  it spread out the ink well. I like  that on their site there are many tutorial and instructions.
If they were really long lasting on ceramic and glass I would give them 10.
I would like to have the chance to buy them singularly.

I hope this review iwas useful to you! If you have any question please ask in the  comments form!


Fluffy hugs,

Sara 




No comments: