It's Month of Masters time!

Leggi in Italiano
Month of masters challenge


Hi guys!

What's up? Are you suffering hot weather as me? July is here and I would like to spend my days at the beach but I'm here, suffering heat of the city XD. Luckily I have something funny to make, because in July there's the Month of Masters challenge!
The idea has come in my mind one year ago. Or rather, it already existed and I thought that turning it into an art challenge was an interesting idea for all those people  who, as me, like art and to make art.

It consists of re-painting the artworks of Master artists of the past (and of the present) in your style. It's a normal practice in art schools of all ages because it allows, through observation of the artwork, to learn many aspects about the techniques used by the Master.
It's a draw this in your style challenge made with fine art pieces!

 
I wanted to share this experience with my friends and fellow artists on Instagram, so I contacted some of my favorites and together we have planned everything. Having a team means organizing together, supporting each other with comments and shares, and promoting the challenge to let people know of it. I'm very happy with both the teams of this year and of the last year and I'll introduce all the members at the end of this post.



The artworks I made for Month of Masters 2020


My version of Alphonse Mucha, Moet & Chadon White Star.


How to enter


Now I'm explaining in detail. There will be six prompts through July (one every five days, from the 3rd to the 28th), five prompts have been picked from the team by votation, the last one is free choice.

The artwork must be posted on your Instagram page following the schedule. Of course, if you can't post on the scheduled day you can do it later, most important is having fun and no stressing.

Every technique is welcome, traditional or digital and the experience or skill level doesn't matter, nobody will judge or give your artwork a vote, we aren't at school!


HERE you find all the rules and ashtags to use.



Why and how to partecipate


As mentioned, the basic idea is to learn by the Master painters by observing the features of the painting as composition, color palette, lights, and shadows, what made that artwork so unique, etc. About these things, I suggest you read this good blog post by my friend Franz Morisco.

Other reasons to enter this challenge is the chance to know or deepen Master artists probably you didn't know before, to meet new friends and artists on Instagram, to have something to do during a -probably- boring summer month.


Copying the techniques or the characteristics of the Master artists is no the only way to enter the challenge. By the experience of the last year, I've seen that many people loved to re-interpret the original paint in a new way, considering it as a cue and not something to copy.


Here some examples of artworks repainted by artists who kept the features on Master artists' style.




Tamara De Lempicka, version by @laviride

Elisabeth Vigée Le Brun, version by @franz.mori

Jon Whitcomb, version by @madebyshae

Donna Schuster, version by @beanireen18

Some examples of artists who repainted the Master artists' artwork in very new ways, keeping only the basic idea and some details.


Alphonse Mucha, version by@nina.clausonet


Gustav Klimt, version by @craftstilo


Gustav Klimt, version by@peachyslothart


Donna Schuster, version by @mariethibaudart


They are two different ways to see the challenge and both valid.

 HERE you can see the entries by all partecipants of 2020. Attentions! You may get addicted!


The prompts



This year it's more oriented toward contemporary painters.
Below the collages I put the links to the web pages where you can see the artworks of the Masters, in case you wan to enter the challenge or just for curiosity.


Month of Masters 2021 schedule

3 Luglio  Edgar Degas
8 Luglio Juliana Seraphim
13 Luglio Maxfield Parrish
18 Luglio Catrin Welz-Stein
23 Luglio William Godward
28 Luglio Scelta libera


The hosts


Hosts are people who organized the challenge this and last year. Some members of the last edition couldn't take part of in this edition and this year we have some new members. I have to thank all of them for the enthusiasm and the help to make something I am so proud of, and for all their beautiful ideas (including the name of the challenge).

Hosts of 2020 edition (links open their Instagram pages)



Hosts of 2021 edition and their posters (links open their Instagram pages).


I hope many of you will enter the Month of Masters! Have fun!

Sara

No comments: